It does not take a lot of time to prepare a delicious, quick and simple dessert - that is also low in sugar.
Here are some quick and simple suggestions:
- Fresh fruit salad - cut up sweet, ripe juicy fruit such as watermelon, honey melon, sweet juicy apples, pears, ripe stone fruit and a few grapes. Drizzle with a little 'really raw honey' if necessary. Citric acid may present a problem, therefore avoid unripe fruit or fruit that has a high acid content.
- Homemade apple pie or crumble
Use plain, unbleached spelt flour for the pastry or crumble.
Variations: substitute apples with plums or apricots
- Homemade ice-cream using fresh puréed fruit:
Bananas, apricots, mangoes or very ripe strawberries - be conscious of the citric acid content!
Bananas and strawberries mixed together are divine!
Simply stir the puréed fruit into 1 cup of whipped cream and freeze for a couple of hours.
Lydia sent us the BEST recipe for homemade ice-cream popsicles.
- Fried bananas drizzled with 'really raw honey' and served with homemade ice-cream.
- These 2 frozen treats were sent to us by James Summers:
Frozen bananas dipped in pureed raspberries with honey for a sweetener and frozen strawberries as flavorful ice blocks for cold drinks
Or try one of our recipes:
Pears Baked in Cream
- 4 large fresh pears (1 for each person)
- Really raw honey
- 1 cup cream
- Toasted slivered coconut to garnish
Peel, halve and core pears and place in ovenproof dish. Drizzle with honey. Pour in cream and bake at 190°C (375°F) until pears are tender. Sprinkle with toasted coconut, serve.
Stuffed Baked Apples
- 4 apples, cored - again choose a sweet juicy apple
- 25g dried apricots, chopped
- 25g dried dates, chopped
- 25g dried pears, chopped
- 25g desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons clear honey
Dissolve the honey in a little boiling water and soak the dried fruit in this for at least 30 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid. Mix the soaked fruit with the coconut and use to stuff the apples. Arrange in an ovenproof dish, pour reserved liquid over and dot with butter. Cover with alu-foil and bake at 200°C (400°F) for about 30 minutes or until apples are soft. Serve with homemade ice-cream.
Apple or Apricot Turnovers
- 375g puff pastry (ingredients: plain unbleached flour, pinch of salt, butter, water)
- 24g honey or fructose
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot
- 0.5kg/1lb sweet juicy apples or apricots
- Egg white to glaze
Roll out pastry to a rectangle 25cm/10 inches by 38cm/15inches. Cut out six 13cm/5 inch squares. Peel, core and slice apples (or destone and chop apricots) and simmer until just tender. Stir in arrowroot and honey or fructose, allow to thicken. Allow to cool. Divide fruit mixture between pastry squares. Dampen edges, fold over to make triangular shapes and seal well. Refrigerate for at least two hours. Bake in a hot oven at 220°C (425°F) for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, brush with egg white and return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Tastes delicious served hot or cold.
Mango, Peach or Apricot Mousse
- 4 ripe mangoes or 6 ripe peaches or 12 ripe apricots (these may need to be stewed gently for a few minutes)
- 25 mg gelantine (agar agar is recommended)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Small quantity of honey or fructose to sweeten
- 2 1/2 cups cream, whipped
Peel fruit, cut flesh away from stones and with fork, mash to a puree. Soften agar agar in cold water, dissolve over hot water. Add to fruit puree with honey. Carefully fold cream into fruit mixture. Spoon into individual dishes and refrigerate until set.
Ice-cream popsicles Sent to us by Lydia:
Buy a set of ice-pop holders (same concept as the Tupperware ones) BUT...the ones that hold 8 icecreams, and the ones that come with wooden popsticks, so that when you pull the icecream out of the mould...it really looks like a store-bought icecream. My kids LOVE THEM! You can vary this recipe to however you like it... They're also portioned rather smallish, which can be a good thing!
Whip the following with a Barmix (or similar) till frothy!
Pour into the moulds...freeze...enjoy!
These are so yummy, I eat them myself!
- 1 cup juice (apple works great)
- 1 cup cream
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon honey
Thank you James and Lydia, your recipe ideas are delicious!
Return to recipes and helpful hints top page
here for Book